Thursday, May 23, 2013

Set Course for Adventure - Review


Yet Another review for all to read! This Foundry mission comes from a new author by the name of Squareslugx! Please note that I will be posting my opinions and suggestions on missions. This is why it is my blog after all! People are free to disagree with anything stated within the information below!

Description: Dreaming of a life on the open sea. Sit back and relax at Fishy Eye Tavern. Listen to tales! Play a couple of games! Maybe one day you too, will have an epic adventure to tell.

Plays: 0

Starting off
Upon accepting the quest you are asked to go relax at Fishy Eye Tavern. Now, first thing that came to mind was the smell of fish. I come from a redneck family so it wasn't uncommon for me to come home and see about six or more trout just sitting in the sink stinking up the place....So thanks for bringing up that memory..Jerk ( <3 ). To get to the tavern you are required to leave through a gate which I am perfectly fine with! The icon to go to the tavern was placed near the Coast and Mere of Dead Men. This made me instantly think I was going to end up in -one of those- taverns.

Zone in and what do you know...a body on the floor and he has a bottle of booze with him! This is going to be a great adventure!

The Good
The story is something different. Who doesn't want to go steal a giant pirate boat?! There were plenty of things to interact with and as I said before..I love me some shinies!

The Bad
I highly suggest going over everything that deals with dialog. There are several errors that stick out. The description included.  The one you have in game is confusing and while I am not an English major (far from it), I suggest looking at your sentences and how you are ending them. Do you want to use a Period (.) Exclamation point (!) or Question Mark (?)? Over several pieces of dialog the sentences read as a question but ended in a period. In others it would seem they were be excited but ended another way. I also suggest checking the use of your commas. While a pause is a common use be sure to look into FANBOYS on general placement!

Seagull Pirate Territory - It felt like just a bunch of mobs were placed there to give some combat. It felt dull and boring to just have to hack and slash my way through them.

Details - At first it looked as if there was work placed in. The hallway was nicely put together and so was the Tavern. However, as you progress you see less and less detail. At the end of the Territory map it felt bland and wasted.


Fault (These are faults of the mission not caused by the author but the game)
None

Suggestions
Just a Twin Bandit (and his B) - I think giving them funny names may work here. Just calling him 'Just a Twin Bandit' feels sluggish and lazy.

Pirates in the Tavern - They all use the same model. I felt as if I was fighting an Old Man Gang which were all twin brothers. Try switching some around and using different models. Will help liven it up a bit!

Names of mobs - I am confused by the way you named your mobs. 'Don't touch my Loot' pirates', 'Guarding the tent'? Perhaps renaming them to be part of a band and then leaving the main names as they are ('Scavenger').

Rose - Remember, she is technically talking. I am never one for faces in dialog. A personally suggestion of mine is to remove her <3 during her idle follow.

Campfire in Territory- I suggest moving this to where you first zone in on the map. If someone wished to ignore mobs they could just let themselves die and spawn behind the required contact Even then is it awkwardly placed.
   
Overall 3/5
I have to rate this mission with a 3/5. It starts out fine even with the simple dialog errors but it begins to go down hill as you progress. Details begin to slack and the dialog feels as if has become rushed. While I enjoy shinies, inspecting them did nothing. The text upon inspection was not entertaining and was bland. You could spice this up with something funny to make people want to go inspect everything.

The story itself was different which is why I decided to review it. There are plenty of graveyard quests, go steal stuff quests, but how many 'I want to go steal a pirate boat' quests? This one did not end with you stealing it but the Author stated there will be a second part so I do hope I get to be on a boat soon enough! May take some custom building though.

No comments:

Post a Comment