Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spellthief Trials Review

Another day another review! This one is called Spellthief Trials by Stebss! After reading his letter as to why I should review it I figured I would give it a shot. He stated that he had a huge amount of detail in it. Which, I'm sure if you read the last review..I love details! I love shiny objects! He also stated he felt that there were characters that I would absolutely love.

Description: A secret group of powerful mages have established a magic academy in the Underdark. You've been hired to foil their plans in the most epic fashion possible. Work alongside an accomplished Spellthief to steal the most powerful spell-books within the academy and battle your way through a school full of ambitious wizards, witches, Arch-Mages, and their hordes of minions. If you want memorable characters, unique and challenging boss fights, spectacular scenery and beautifully hand crafted environments then don't hesitate to accept this quest and begin your own training to become a certified Spellthief.

Plays: 119

Starting off
You are asked to find a fellow by the name of Seth at his secret hideout. Luckily for me I still had my my golden trail of cheat on and it lead me to a barrel. I was confused. How would my character know to look at this barrel? What was so special about it? I was hoping it had some gold or my Helm that still needs to be released from the Auction house *Shakes fist*

Upon inspecting the barrel you are transported to another room. In my eyes, this is neat though I couldn't help but laugh at the image of my character in full armor trying to wiggle herself in to a barrel...out in the open. There are two characters in the room and one of them will happily call you a scrub. If I could, I would have smacked him upside the head. I already deal with Ilztonim, don't need another one of you! The other NPC in the room is Seth himself. His dialog was a bit off for me since he seemed to just think I wasn't paying attention to the word 'suicide' mission.

And that is all I am telling you for the start! You will need to play through to know what happens!

The Good
Stebs - It is nice to see people have that one character in that just a single encounter will make you want to slap him.


Details of the Academy - I bow to you sir. *worships*

Use of the Name command - I love this! Though I would like to know how he got my name....He..didn't take my wallet too did he?!

Characters - There are so many characters in this mission that some of them you just want to hug. Yes! Be free man! Follow your dreams! \o/ P.S. Don't tell a girl her hair smells like spices. That is just creepy!

Dancing Golems - o_o


Dan Danielson - Lay off the coffee...or..energy drinks..Whatever you are drinking.

The Bad
Stebs attitude- Stebs attitude at the start was AMAZING! He was cold..and it was only with one line. However, when you meet him at the academy he treats you like a normal person rather than the burden he probably sees you to be. I feel as if he is suddenly forced to be nice.

Sneaking through the Academy - The quest has me originally going through the crypts and then suddenly..I'm supposed to be sneaking through the academy? I didn't feel very sneaky at all. I just waltz through like 'Sup' without a care in the world.

Getting out of the Crypts/Academy - If you need a golden trail you will be lost. It does not appear for this. I believed to get out I had to just go right back the way I came. Nope. I brought up the quest and tried to see if there were hints to how to get out. In the end, I ended up just running around trying to find my way out.


Fault (These are faults of the mission not caused by the author but the game)
None!


Suggestions
Find Seth in his Hideout - I would like to see you place a possible NPC as to either hint where to go of have a clue drop somewhere. It felt really cheap to go straight to the hideout which was apparently linked to a barrel. Thinking by an RP standpoint my character really would have no reason to go to the barrel in the first place. A trail of clues would be awesome here!

Seth - When you first meet Seth he acts as if he already knows you. Perhaps changing the dialog in to him being startled that you found his hideout and are willing to help would make it flow a bit smoother? Seth's dialog could use some fine turning as well. Perhaps saying 'I see you like to get right down to business!" rather than the bland 'You like to get right down to business.' The entire time you sit on this dialog box he seems oddly happy. I don't know if this is intended to be his personality but it seems off. If you follow the dialog for an ego he looks more of a brute then anything with the taunt. With him looking to be a wizard I figured having him turn around on the player would fit much more nicely rather then him looking as if he is a warrior and ready to go hand to hand.

Map Transition from the Hideout to the Academy - I suggest allowing you to move back to the Protector's Enclave and then leave from the gate there. I always find it odd leaving one place and instantly teleporting to the next.

Sneaking through the academy - Perhaps set a few encounters to make people really have to sneak. I could waltz anywhere. It felt odd. Not very sneaky at all.

Gossiping Necromaners - I suggest changing their omg to O.M.G. If you say omg out loud it sounds awkward. Many people will say O.M.G. A pause between then to let the letters release separately.

Uneven statues - The statues next to the Class clown are uneven. One sets itself within the wall border while the other sets right along it.

Portal out of the Arena - All the blues made it hard for me to see. Perhaps move it right where he despawns?

Overall 4.5/5
I was really pleased with this foundry mission. There wasn't too much story and not too many encounters. It was a perfect mix. You can tell the author took time to build each map. I do not suggest coming in here as a 60 with only a few pots. I can tell there are stacked encounters that make you work for your win. I was fine popping pots to get it done but for others it may be a bit harder. So yeah, don't come in without pots!

The story flowed well in some points and was awkward in others. There were plenty of characters just doing their own thing. I wish I could have interrupted the Gossiping Necromancers and called one fat. Their attitudes reminded me of the ideal 90's Valley Girl. I could not help but smile at the end of the mission. It was a touching ending and I am glad it was there. This is definitely worthy of Neverwinter's Spotlight with a few tweaks, even without it! This is a must try if you enjoy story and detail! If you want to rush through stuff and just get the box out of the end I suggest finding yourself an Orge killing quest.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, to complete the quest, I must go to the crypts, but not how to do it, I'm on protector's enclave.

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope Seth is near auction by some barrel. Have run around the place but around that area I got no hint. We see.
    Thanks for run through. Newish to game, only finished one quest so any helps appreciated like this especially knowing it can be completed. Liked the Troll bashing in Summer Festival area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope Seth is near auction by some barrel. Have run around the place but around that area I got no hint. We see.
    Thanks for run through. Newish to game, only finished one quest so any helps appreciated like this especially knowing it can be completed. Liked the Troll bashing in Summer Festival area.

    ReplyDelete